I added a Twitter panel to the left side of my home page. This should help my site feel more current and modern; a sleek disguise. I update my twitter fairly often, and definately more often then the news section here on the site. For example, this news update is almost 1 year after the previous news update.
No news updates for 3 years and now 3 in one day! I'm sure I'll get right back to neglecting the hell out of this site right after this post. But I wanted to post the technologies and skills that I am looking forward to learning very soon.
- Adobe AIR for Flash CS3 to make desktop apps
- Papervision 3D for Flash AS3 - basically 3d for flash
- PHP and MySQL mixed with Flash - This is very important to learn before one can call themselves a true Flash Applications Developer.
- Lectora 2008 New Features - always get geeky for the next release
- Adobe Flex - Use to make applications and exports to .swf. Also uses AS3, so I'm sure it's good times.
I am still a graphic/interactive designer at Trivantis, working downtown in Cincinnati, OH. I work with Lectora Pro Publisher, the Adobe Suite CS3, audio editing tools, etc.
I rarely do any 3D or After Effects anymore. They were by far two of my favorite mediums upon leaving school in 2004. However my real love has become Flash, especially Flash CS3 which has AS3.
AS3 makes so much sense to me, and really makes clear all of the inconsistencies of AS2. See?... I am even sounding like a Flash dork!
Damn you Flash for taking over my life... I no longer really consider myself a true Digital Media developer, even though I am still capable, but I consider myself a budding flash developer. Even though I don't actually develop Flash apps full-time, sometimes I still make interfaces or build eLearning courses, I am getting more and more flash app projects.
Infact, I've had a few very positive flash app projects:
- Driving101 - an online drivers license study guide for kids, it's still not taking off quite how my company would like it to, however they are trying to get more states to sign up for it. I learned some good organization skills with this project and good dynamic code writing. I used a huge array to store all of the data information, as opposed to XML, which I didn't know about yet. Check out the Tour.
- ASSET - Advanced Selling Skills eLearning Training, or ASSET, is a sales tool, where I really pushed forward in my AS skills. I created a very dynamic video player that plays motivational sales speech videos and displays animated contents along with it. Trivantis hired 5 new people just for this project alone, since we had to make 48 seperate 20 minute modules. This was by far my biggest learning experience to date and my biggest project. Unfortunately this project has not really taken off as far as I have seen. It it, though, one of my proudest achievements. Check out the Demo.
- My next
big app was the CDS showcase for my department. We are called CDS which stands for Custom Development Services. This was also a huge step for me in AS2 because I learned to code with classes and basically did everything except for component creation in class files. Class files really help a developer stay organized in a big project. This site is really going to help the sales department sell CDS projects, and hopefully cooler projects too. I also learned how to make a fullscreen flash app and utilized that in this project. Check it out here.
- I also made a video/slide presenter app for Baker Oil Tools which was pretty easy and cool, it really showed me how intune I am becoming with actionscript. I can't show this because it's an internal private app for Baker Oil Tools, but trust me, it's really cool... like, really really cool... man, only if you could see it. jk, it's not all that, but it was a nice quick and dirty app that was fun to make. I think this project helped show my manager and some others that flash apps can help make some money too. *Not every project has to be an elearning course!
- Now my company has the Adobe CS3 suite and I LOVE AS3 in Flash. I was intimidated to make the jump at first, but then I just fell right into it like a pile of soft feathers that smell like fresh laundry... mmmmm. And my first project for that was to make an extremely dynamic flash site with glossary for Cablevision that is easily updatable through a few XML files. By the way E4X XML access in AS3 makes XML handling so easy! This site also includes a dynamic Dialogue page , and a DVR box comparison chart page which were their own little projects, also created dynamically through actionscript 3 and XML. Check out this project here. Keep in mind that the content is all dummy content, because the real content is private and owned by Cablevision.
I used all all AS3 classes and even a document class for my FLA, so basically all I need the FLA for is the Library and all the library items have there linkages set. In AS3, it doesn't use "linkage" any more, it uses Class names. Very confusing at first but oh so bad ass when you get used to it.
Also Tweener, a 3rd party Tweening class, was very helpful in making my site animated and exciting. It is also extremely simple to use. Check out Tweener here.
I'm really horrible about keeping this little news section (and this whole site) up-to-date.
I will be starting as Graphic Designer/Production Artist at Trivantis Corporation on November 29th. Right after I get
back from vacation in Myrtle Beach. Trivantis is located in Downtown Cincinnati and they were one of about five out of
about 200 companies that survived the dot-com bust in 2000. They were also ranked as one of the Nations 100 hottest entreprenuer companies.
I will be making mostly elearning applications for some pretty big name companies. I am extremely excited to start working there.
I am currently looking for a job/internship in the Cincinnati area as a multimedia artist, digital media designer, graphic designer, motion graphics artist,
web designer, interactive designer, flash designer, 3D artist,
realtime 3D modeler, texturer, or print designer.
Please have a look at my work and resume. If your company might be interested in me don't hesitate to get in contact with me.